Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sputnik Sweetheart





I just finished reading "Sputnik Sweetheart," the first Murakami novel I've read. I'm not exactly sure I understand it yet. Something about reading it made me feel like I was in a dream and when I'd woken up I felt disoriented and it was hard to piece together all the details of my dream. I'm going to have to read it again to really grasp the meaning of it. I really felt touched by the recurrent theme of longing and loneliness; Murakami writes so well, it's as if you're talking to a close friend. I especially like the simple yet profound words that were strewn across the book. Like when Sumire was pondering on "knowing" and "not knowing; how they're both really one thing. One cannot exist without the other. Or when she called K one night and asked what the difference was between a sign or a symbol.

It's hard to explain what this novel made me feel, and I'm not exactly great at explaining things to begin with. But I will tell you that Murakami can write words that truly speak to the reader, something that not many authors are able to do.

"Right?

Right you are!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home